How to Create an Endowment Fund
We can help you start an endowment (long-term) fund with The Dayton Foundation in five easy steps:
1. Give Us a CallStart by contacting us to discuss your charitable or estate-planning goals. We will work directly with you and your financial advisor to customize a charitable plan that will help you enhance the quality of life in your community and offer you significant tax advantages.
2. Decide the Type and Purpose of Your FundWe offer a wide variety of fund types to satisfy your charitable giving needs now and in the future. As a donor, you may designate specific charitable distributions to any qualified not-for-profit organization, including churches and schools. You may establish broad areas of charitable interest, or you may ask the Foundation to make grants on your behalf, where community need is greatest.
Not sure of the tax-exempt status of the charity you wish to support? Contact us and we will do the research for you.
3. Determine When and How Much to GiveYou can establish a fund either with a direct contribution during your lifetime or through a legacy gift, or both (See What You Can Give). A minimum initial gift of $25,000 in cash, appreciated securities, closely held stock, real estate or other real property is recommended for an endowed fund, but you may start with a smaller amount and make plans to add to it over time.
4. Select an Investment StrategyThe Dayton Foundation has more than 30 Foundation-approved and monitored investment pools in which we invest your contributions for charitable distributions. The Foundation also employs the Fund Evaluation Group to provide third-party evaluation of investment performance. Our administrative fees and investment policy provides further information.
5. Name Your FundMany donors choose to name their fund with their or their family's name or as a memorial to a loved one. If you wish to remain anonymous, we suggest you select a name that reflects your fund's charitable interest. We will protect your identity, if you so choose.
It is That SimpleOnce you complete and sign your fund agreement, we will begin to serve your charitable objectives, assuring that your wishes will be met in perpetuity. We will send you and/or your advisor fund activity reports quarterly to help you keep track of your charitable fund and your grants made from it.
Are you looking for a convenient, tax-wise way to do your regular charitable giving? Click here to learn more about our Charitable Checking AccountSM Service.
About Us | Strengthening Community | Becoming a Donor | For Foundation Donors | For Professional Advisors | For Not-For-Profit Organizations | For Youth | News & Publications | Contact Us | Access Your Fund or Account | Home
The Dayton Foundation. We Help You Help OthersSM
File date: 05-13-2010